Monday, January 18, 2010

French Quarter

These pictures are from my room at the Beatle motel in beautiful downtown Mumbai. This area was to mimic a French Quarter, however I have not seen a poodle and the women here shave their legs. This hotel is not as luxurious as the Leela, but it's location and lack of pretension has drawn me in. The first morning I walked out of the hotel there was no surrounding gate to 'protect' us from the culture. When we put up walls we beckon all in....There is a coffee shop, several ATMs in about a 100 feet, about a quarter to half mile down the road is a huge mall . I believe it is the Caladia(SP) Mall, but is supposed to have EVERYTHING, and several really nice restaurants near by. The Beatle has 3 restaurants, I have only had the pleasure of dining at one..so far. The people that work at the Hotel are very nice and accommodating. I ended up taking a taxi this week as the return trip is very hard for the auto rickshaws, but I may try that next week. Walking is not going to be an option, the route is as busy 9:00 pm at night as it is at 10:30 am. My being overwhelmed on my last visit had me anxious on this one. But I am in a better place this visit mentally and more accepting of what Mumbai has to offer, because Mumbai offers life from the richness of it's Bollywood to the raw humanity of the indigent, and that is OK. That is life, we accept and move on at any level and the measure of the richness can be found in a mud puddle as well in a pool in a palace.
I am intrigued every time I step out of my shell. I am currently seeking a guide for meditation and one of my colleagues has a relative who is working on it. Living in the current, in the now. Sounds daunting to me, but worth the effort if I can become more aligned.
Today I got up, made out my laundry list threw all my clothes that I could wear here in Mumbai into a bag. They have a DO NOT DISTURB and on the back of that sign they have a DO DISTURB (this is a first or me), so I hung the DO DISTURB on the knob facing out, so you know they read the DO NOT DISTURB and I came home to dirty towels and laundry. lol. I am sure they think I am one of those filthy American bohemians. Lesson Learned, don't put anything on the door especially if you are already disturbed, and trust me, most of you are or you would not be reading this blog.
Ted and Judy, hello in L.A. Patty, keep up the good work, I think what you are doing is within the realm of a compassionate warrior. She will come to reason or she will not come.
Oh, news of the press, Maria Hackenson is retiring. I have tears running down my face. I have met many people in my short time here, but I must say, I have not met a more witty charming and devilish person I find fun to be around. I am not alone. Maria..........damn.







No comments:

Post a Comment